Let's face it - mousse is awesome. It's one of those perfect desserts that's still manageable after a big meal, and also works as an anytime snack. And visitors to the Beach Club resort will tell you that the Chocolate Cookie Mousse at Cape May's is one of the best. And so, I made it. And ate it all. Possibly in the same day.
6 Oreo cookies
2/3 cup white chocolate
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon granulated gelatin
3 egg yolks
Mousse It Up!
1. Crumble cookies into teeny pieces. This can be done with a food processor, or just put the cookies in a sealed ziploc bag and pound them with a mallet.
2. Melt white chocolate and remove from heat. (I don't have a double boiler, so I used the microwave for this step.)
3. Whip the heavy cream until medium-firm peaks form.
4. Pour 1/4 of the whipped cream into a saucepan and sprinkle in the gelatin. Let sit for about 3 minutes, until the gelatin softens and swells.
5. Heat gelatin over low heat, stirring constantly, until gelatin is dissolved.
6. Remove from heat and gently blend in egg yolks.
7. Add the melted chocolate, stirring fast to avoid lumps.
8. Fold the remaining whipped cream and cookies together, then fold into the white chocolate mixture.
9. Pour into serving bowls and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. Ta-da!