You may have noticed my blog posting has been a little light these past few weeks - I've had a bunch of things to deal with (sick pet, impending move, crazy workload), but there's one thing that makes everything better: soup. Seriously, soup is the panacea to all life's troubles. It's been scientifically proven, I swear.
And this curry butternut soup, served at Boma in Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge, is the winter soup guaranteed to melt the winter blahs away. In other words, it is spicy. And delicious. You'll need an immersion blender for this one, but it's worth it.
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlice, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
juice of 2 fresh lemons
2 teaspoons red curry paste
1 pound butternut squash, peeled/seeded/cut into chunks
2 cups vegetable stock
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups milk
4 tablespoons sour cream
Curry on! (apologies to Tim Gunn)
1. Melt butter in a large stockpot. Add onions and garlic and cook about 5 minutes, until tender.
2. Add cumin, coriander, lemon juice, and curry paste.
3. Add squash and vegetable stock. Simmer about 20 mins, or until squash is easily pierced with a fork.
4. Grab your immersion blender - puree soup in batches until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Return to heat and add milk and sour cream. Do not boil.
6. Adjust seasoning if desired, and serve immediately.
Mmm - I recommend serving alongside a grilled cheese sandwich, or with crusty bread. Enjoy!